(Page 7 of 14)
The house was restored as closely as possible to its original appearance, and today, it is a National Historic Landmark. However, in order to ensure its permanent preservation, the Edison Birthplace Association was formed some years later, and the nonprofit organization continues to own and maintain the museum.
In a small building next to the house is the ticket office, which includes a display of photographs and several early model phonographs, and is the starting place for the daily tours.
Visitors enter the Edison Birthplace through the side door into the sitting room. To the rear is the bedroom where Edison was born. Narrow, steep stairs opposite the front door lead to two bedrooms on either side of the upper landing – one was Edison’s parents’ room and the other belonged to his two sisters.
A back stairway on the main floor leads down to the large basement kitchen, which opens to the garden on the lower slope of the hill. The kitchen is furnished with articles and utensils of that time period, including a wall clock. It’s said that Edison’s mother kept a disciplinary switch behind the clock.
On and around the property are bronze Ohio Historical Markers, offering added details of the birthplace home, Edison’s recollections of Milan, and details of the Milan Canal Basin, which helped the town become a leading Great Lakes port.
While there were no accomplishments by young Edison in his seven years at the Milan home, it is nonetheless a significant historic site. The town is proud to be known as the birthplace of one of America’s most famous and prodigious inventors.
Tom & Joanne - Willoughby, Ohio
Town of St. Patrick, Missouri, is Proud of Its Irish Heritage
St. Patrick, Missouri, is a uniquely Irish town, with a population of only 17.
Richard and Rose Simpson Riney, descendants of Irish immigrants and my great-great-grandparents, were the first settlers in 1833. The following year, they built a log church, which they named St. Patrick’s Church.
Father Bernard Patrick McMenomy, of Donegal, Ireland, was pastor at the time, and named the settlement St. Patrick. He also obtained a post office in 1858.
Much later, Father Thomas Dempsey, of Offaly, Ireland, worked for several years to obtain a gravel road to replace the dirt road that became muddy when it rained. His efforts were successful, and when the road was graveled in 1933, it became Dempsey Highway. Unfortunately, Father Dempsey passed away in 1931 and didn’t get to enjoy the fruits of his labor.
Page: << Previous 1
| 7 | 8
| Next >>